The first snowfall of winter will set the stage for another magical season that starts in Collingwood on November 18. This year brings some new activities and the return of Collingwood’s small-town Christmas traditions, offering friends and families plenty to do from morning to evening.
Here are 10 great ways to start your Christmas in historic downtown Collingwood this year:
- Get a running start to the holidays! The new HoHoHoliday 5k is the most Festive run in town! This 5-kilometer trail run combines the magic of the Holidays with community engagement and fitness. Plus every runner gets a Santa Claus suit! To make sure you get a suit, register early at www.hohoholiday5k.com.
- It just wouldn’t be Christmas without a visit with Santa’s reindeer-in-training. Be sure to bring the kids to Town Hall between 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on Saturday to meet Santa’s reindeer-in-training.
- Shop for local gifts people will love. Fashion and eco-friendly home decoration stores abound Downtown. Galleries are also full of gift ideas you won’t find anywhere else for that person that seems to have everything.
- Indulge your Christmas Cravings. Collingwood boasts more than ten specialty shops and food markets that even the most discerning foodie will love, from decadent desserts and specialty teas to and endless assortment of perfectly smoked game meats, artisanal cheeses and local produced preserves.
- Shopping makes you Hungry. Nothing makes a shopping trip better than a lunch break or leisurely dinner. Collingwood Downtown is famous for its array of local chefs, offering delicious dishes for the adventurous foodie, or for those who seek a more classic meal.
- Enjoy the Magic of Christmas on Simcoe Street. What’s on Simcoe Street? A little bit of everything! Dancers, clowns, a Healthy Treats Workshop for families, holiday baking, and cozy restaurants serving Christmas lunch specials. Enjoy readings and crafts, short films, and unique local crafts and gifts.
- View live Nutcracker dancers in storefronts along Hurontario Street from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday. Collingwood Downtown has several design, fashion and decoration stores, as well as a great array of art galleries and restaurants, each featuring a unique expression of the celebrated Nutcracker ballet.
- Cheer on the Santa Claus Parade. At 5:00 p.m. the annual Santa Claus parade makes it way north along Hurontario Street from Hume to First Street. The parade will feature floats and music, highlighting the joys of Christmas and Collingwood’s rich history. The Parade will finish with the jolly old elf – Santa himself — arriving in his very special sleigh.
- Follow the parade towards the Town’s Christmas tree and watch as Santa and the Town of Collingwood host the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony to celebrate the beginning of the Christmas season in Downtown Collingwood.
- Gaze at the dazzling fireworks following the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. Hurontario Street and north towards the harbour, including the Sidelaunch Basin and Amphitheatre, will be great for viewing the fireworks. Thanks to Karen Fritz, Mortgage Broker, CENTUM Alternative Mortgages Ltd. and Dean Fritz, President of PyroWorld Fireworks & Special Effects, for the sponsorship and presentation of a very special edition of fireworks to end the day
There are only a few towns left in Ontario that celebrate the start of Christmas the small-town, old-fashioned way. Here in Collingwood that simple way to celebrate the start of Christmas lives on.
For the full schedule and map of where all the activities happen, visit: http://www.collingwooddowntown.com